Monday, July 14, 2008

Four! More! Years!


Well, John McCain seems to be angry, which is usually spun to define him as even tempered. His surrogates are in hyper-drive trying to fog the fact that John McCain has endorsed every single Bush plan for the last seven years. His latest fact-free surrogate claims that:
John McCain stood up against George Bush and Don Rumsfeld in the prosecution of the Iraq war for many years. … To say that John McCain was aligned with President Bush on the prosecution of the war in Iraq is to change history.

Fortunately, here in the 21st century, we have recording devices that we can return to and check the record for facts. To wit:

“I think that Blix’s report will be fairly definitive. But Mr. Blix has made a lot of reports over the years, and I think the judgment made by the United States of America will — and the president of the United States — will prevail here.” [NBC, 2/12/03]

“I believe as strongly today as ever, the mission [in Iraq] was necessary, achievable and noble. For his determination to undertake it, and for his unflagging resolve to see it through to a just end, President Bush deserves not only our support, but our admiration.” [GOP Convention, 8/30/04]

“The fact is that I have agreed with President Bush far more than I have disagreed. And on the transcendent issues, the most important issues of our day, I’ve been totally in agreement and support of President Bush.” [Meet the Press, 6/19/05]

MR. GREGORY: Do you, do you have confidence in the president and his national security team to lead the war at this stage?
SEN. McCAIN: I do. I do. I have confidence in the president and I believe that he is well aware of the severity of the situation. [Meet the Press, 8/20/06]

I’m sticking with the president in this respect [on Iraq]. This is our last chance. The consequences of failure are catastrophic.” [CNN, 2/13/07]

I am proud of this president’s strategy in Iraq.” [Receiving Bush’s endorsement, 2/13/08]

In fact, just four months ago, McCain declared unequivocally, “No one has supported President Bush on Iraq more than I have.”

Are they lying now, or was he lying then? H/T to Think Progress.


No comments: